After I quit my profitable job , to less profitable start up many people looked at me like I was a bit crazy. Those eyes didn’t surprise me. I was one of them few years ago. Who, in his right mind, quits his job for his dreams? What about kids, house and vacation in exclusive places? Did you think about that?
Well, I wouldn’t say I haven’t been thinking about that. From the guaranteed salary from month to month , you end in the place where you have to start looking for the clients to make your profit. I had been following this fear for long time in my life. As a result, it took me almost 12 years, before I follow my inner voice and looked for my life passion.
From the time perspective I couldn’t do anything better for myself than that. Making even a small break in your current career and giving yourself a space to process your dreams is amazing gift for yourself.
Therefore, here is my list of STEPS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER BEFORE YOU QUIT YOUR CURRENT JOB.
1.Prepare financial budget for the incomes which you have at the moment. Analyze on the bank account how much money you spent. For instance: home, grocery, trips, clothes, parties and if you have kids also include kids. See what is your income , what are the debts every month and make a wise plan on saving. Meanwhile, decide how much of your salary you would like to save and adjust your expenses to the amount of desired savings (never other way round).
2. Look for the external possibilities for the passive income. If you are expat, you might think to invest in property in your home country. The real estate is always grow, renting always bring passive revenue to your home budget. There are of course other options like: making online course for sale, creating application for smartphones, trading products online etc.
3. Make up your mind what would you like to do. Hence , search actively for your life purpose.What is the best job ever you would do, if you didn’t have to worry about money? What was the thing you used to love doing when you were child? How can you serve people with your experience and skills?
4. Invest in your own education. I speak to many people who stops educating , when they got kids. As a result they stop stretching they skills. Manage your time. This is the investment which will always return. Choose carefully what the school opinion is, speak to few people who finished it. Look for them on social websites. They will always give you some tips.
5. If you have a childhood trauma, or any other kind of trauma, heal it! Spent time with good therapist, coach who can take you through this journey. You cannot even imagine how the old trauma is in-written in your body and mind. There are the limiting believes in you. These will never let you grow, unless you let them go! More than this, during healing time you might find out ,who the real YOU is.
6. When you know what you want to do, find charity / non-contract job in related field. There you can already gain some skills.This will let you experience, how the future job might look like. Also this will give you opportunity to have in your CV position, which open doors for career change.
7. Speak about your plans with people and find a mentor. It helped me a lot to plan steps in changing my career with my coach. Also seek for people who already do your dream job. How did they do it? Which schools did they attend to? What kind of courses? What books would they recommend?
8. Read blogs, watch vlogs! this is the must. You can get more information in one evening , than after reading 3 books. People share their experience.In other words, world is open for you more than ever. Use it.
9. Make you new job meaningful. If you will choose a new job just because you think it will generate big profit, you will burn out soon. In short , look inside you for the motivation. The external ones are like paper. When the rain comes, it get melted. I assure you, there will be many times when it rains, but if you love what you do, you will never stop it.
10. Enjoy every step you do for changing your career. Celebrate it. It might take some time. You need encourage your self to go for more and see what is behind other doors.
These were my 10 tips. I hope you can use them for your own career change, your own start up business.Wrapping it up, surround your self with loving and caring people and you will succeed.