After I quit my profitable job , to less profitable start up many people looked at me like I was a bit crazy. Those eyes didn’t surprise me. I was one of them few years ago. Who, in his right mind, quits his job for his dreams? What about kids, house and vacation in exclusive places? Did you think about that?
Well, I wouldn’t say I haven’t been thinking about that. From the guaranteed salary from month to month , you end in the place where you have to start looking for the clients to make your profit. I had been following this fear for long time in my life. As a result, it took me almost 12 years, before I follow my inner voice and looked for my life passion.
From the time perspective I couldn’t do anything better for myself than that. Making even a small break in your current career and giving yourself a space to process your dreams is amazing gift for yourself.
Therefore, here is my list of STEPS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER BEFORE YOU QUIT YOUR CURRENT JOB.
- Know your own talents. I mean it. If you want to switch career and you are starting from scratch, that is a first step for you. Knowing what you are good at and what brings you to the state of flow, will make your future job like you were never at the work. I mean it. I feel it every day 🙂 I can recommend you Gallup test. You will receive report with 5 or 34 of your talents, describing your strong sites and how you can use them in your life. I work with my clients also without a report. We find your talent through the coaching processes too, if you do not want to spent this money on report.
2. Prepare financial budget. As you might at the beginning drop your income is good to prepare financially for that. . Analyze on the bank account how much money you spent. For instance: home, grocery, trips, clothes, parties and if you have kids also include kids. See what is your income , what are the debts every month and make a wise plan on saving. Meanwhile, decide how much of your salary you would like to save and adjust your expenses to the amount of desired savings (never other way round). If you have problem with that, no worries I give a help on financial planning to my clients to. This is how I use my expertise in accounting 🙂
Look for the external possibilities for the passive income. You might think to invest in property. That was my choice. The real estate is always grow, renting always bring passive revenue to your home budget. There are of course other options like: making online course for sale, creating application for smartphones, trading products online etc.
3. Make up your mind what would you like to do. Hence , search actively for your life purpose.What is the best job ever you would do, if you didn’t have to worry about money? What was the thing you used to love doing when you were child? How can you serve people with your experience and skills? Let yourself experience. You will never find what brings you joy , until you psychically try.
4. Invest in your own education. I speak to many people who stops educating , when they got kids. As a result they stop stretching they skills. Manage your time. This is the investment which will always return. Choose carefully what the school opinion is, speak to few people who finished it. Look for them on social websites. They will always give you some tips.
5. If you have a childhood trauma, or any other kind of trauma, heal it! Spent time with good therapist, coach who can take you through this journey. You cannot even imagine how the old trauma is in-written in your body and mind. There are the limiting believes in you. These will never let you grow, unless you let them go! More than this, during healing time you might find out ,who the real YOU is.
6. When you know what you want to do, find charity / non-contract job in related field. There you can already gain some skills.This will let you experience, how the future job might look like. Also this will give you opportunity to have in your CV position, which open doors for career change.
7. Speak about your plans with people and find a mentor. It helped me a lot to plan steps in changing my career with my coach. Also seek for people who already do your dream job. How did they do it? Which schools did they attend to? What kind of courses? What books would they recommend?
8. Read blogs, watch vlogs! this is the must. You can get more information in one evening , than after reading 3 books. People share their experience.In other words, world is open for you more than ever. Use it.
9. Make you new job meaningful. If you will choose a new job just because you think it will generate big profit, you will burn out soon. In short , look inside you for the motivation. The external ones are like paper. When the rain comes, it get melted. I assure you, there will be many times when it rains, but if you love what you do, you will never stop it.
10. Enjoy every step you do for changing your career. Celebrate it. It might take some time. You need encourage your self to go for more and see what is behind other doors.
These were my 10 tips. I hope you can use them for your own career change, your own start up business.Wrapping it up, surround your self with loving and caring people and you will succeed.
My inner voice has been calling out 🙂 taking baby steps towards it! How long did it take you to quit your job? Was it a few years of planning?
Hi Faith. I cannot tell you exact number , but the inner voice in me was always telling me that finance is not my cookie. The question was: What is then my mission in life? For the past 5 years we were doing a lot of home budgeting with my husby, but for the past 2 years I have done a lot of intensive work on myself to find my inner voice. So I would say: Find what is your life purpose! And follow it no matter what 🙂
Thank you so much for this. I am so impatient with myself and am always thinking the worst. The hardest part for me right now is I’m in a job with excellent pay and benefits, and if I switch, I will be back at square one and probably making half of what I make now. It’s my passion though! Thank you for the words of encouragement 💙
Hi Singing Mermaind :)thank you for sharing it. Yes this was the biggest issue also for me and when I coach other women I see we all go through the same challenges. We get use to nice income and it is so hard to believe I can do the same money one day by doing this what I love. Create a list of your life values and find what is your life purpose. The money will come 🙂
Thank you so much for the advice!